Thursday, February 23, 2017

Lucky Sports Fan

    I have been a sports fan for a good portion of my life. As in life with God, family, friends and country I am fiercely loyal to my favorite teams. My teams don't change much unless something profound happens.


                                                                Basketball
  As a young man I was a Baltimore Bullets/Washington Bullets fan. I was lucky enough to get to see the Washington Bullets make it to the finals two years in a row, winning once. The Bullets were led by "Big E" Elvin Hayes, Phil Chenier and Wes Unseld. Obviously they were not as great a dynasty as the Chicago Bulls and LA Lakers, but I was lucky enough to get to see them win it all once. When they changed their name they lost my loyalty, I became a Sacramento Kings fan, go Kings!!



                                                               Baseball
  I was not much of a baseball fan as a young man, I did not get into baseball until I moved to California, I became an Oakland A's fan because some of my neighbors on Travis AFB were A's fans and watched the games, so I joined and got hooked. I chose on a National league team later based on some friends in Fairfield who watched Dodgers games, so I like the A's and the Dodgers.


I have been fortunate enough to see the A's win multiple times. For a small market team they are very competitive every year and fun to watch. What do you expect from a $150,000,000 budget?


                                                              Football
  Anyone who knows me knows I have been a die hard Redskins fan for ever, since 1969 when Vince Lombardi coached them. They really got exciting when Coach George Allen took over, he was a character. Allen was really the one who made the Dallas/Washington rivalry a big thing, I lived in Temple Hills Maryland just outside of Washington DC at the time so was thoroughly exposed to Redskins fever. My music teacher at J Frank Dent elementary school taught the entire school "Hail to the Redskins"!! My heart was broken in Superbowl VII I must admit(( I was fortunate enough to get to see Joe Gibbs lead them to 3 Superbowls wins, in spectacular fashion. My favorite to watch is XXII where Doug Williams leads the Redskins to the greatest post season quarter ever. 35 points, 357 offensive yards, all in less then 18 plays, that was the game. That was when football was still a team sport, free agency ended the pure sport of football teams, real teams.



                                                           Fussball/Soccer
  I am an American citizen now, I would lay my life down for the USA. I was born in Germany, even if they offered me a lavish life I would not lay down my life for that nation now. However, when it comes to Soccer I am still very very German. I was fortunate enough to live in Germany in 1974 when they hosted and won the World Cup tournament, of course back then all of the players had German names. Anyway, the Germans beat the heavily favored Netherlands led by Johann Kruyff, boy howdy the nation went wild and I was there to witness it))) Of course Germansoccer is nothing like Brazilian soccer which I must admit is really spectacular when they are on their game. As a kid and growing up I would get very upset when someone who was not from Brazil said they were a Brazil fan, I thought you had to be loyal to your country. I still do. I want the USA to win, this is the greatest nation on Earth, why shouldn't we field the greatest soccer side every tournament. Back to Brazil, I now have witnessed Germany win 3 tournaments in my lifetime, one in Germany, but for me the greatest day of soccer was July 8th 2014. I could care less about anything that happens now in the World Cup now, I was fortunate enough to witness Germany boot Brazil out of the tournament....in Brazil!!!!))) The Germans not only won, they destroyed the Brazilian side 7-1, the first 5 goals in the first 30 minutes, 4 in a 9 minute span. It was like watching the Redskins blow up Denver.



  In summary as a fan I have been lucky enough to witness something many people still have not witnessed as sports fans. I have been able to see my favorite teams win it all, more than once. Yes my football team is not 5-0 in Superbowls, no my team does not have 5 World Cup wins only 4, yes I have seen my baseball teams lose the World Series, I am still waiting and hoping on the Kings.
   Really I love all my teams just like everyone who enjoys sports. You tube and the internet are wonderful, we can relive those wonderful moments again whenever we want. I guess I am just a lucky sports fan)))



No comments:

Post a Comment