Saturday, January 30, 2016

Guess My Kryptonite

We all have our weaknesses, our personal kryptonite. In my world I have many weaknesses which, like most people, I am able to either overcome or at least mask. As young people we typically have enough fire, strength and energy in us to just batter our way through life, everything is new and we are more willing and able to absorb "punishment" for our behavior. We learn as we get older.
  So , obviously, "kryptonite" is something that can weaken us as people. In my world the only weakness that is deadly is spiritual weakness. If you are a believer you know that the Father wants a relationship with us, to walk, talk and share. In order to have a relationship you have to commit yourself, your time and energy, to get to know the one you want to relate to. Over the past 15 years I have taken time and made efforts to get to know our Father. The relationship requires continual attention.
  So what is my kryptonite? Anything that steals large blocks of my attention away from the relationship. Sex, drugs, rock and roll, alcohol, just a few of many. Which one is my kryptonite and which are just the tools and means to execute my distraction? It wouldn't take any critical thought to figure that out. As a young man I blocked out large periods of time for my kryptonite, for that there was major physical punishment, but my kryptonite is very compelling and I was willing to pay the price.....for a while. I still have the compulsion but have found discipline and control are almost as compelling and a lot less painful. That doesn't mean I can't fall victim to myself again, chances are I will, but having learned discipline and control the chance of "getting away from myself" is low.
   So we know that my kryptonite is painful, but is it physical pain or spiritual or both? Both. I don't have an addictive personality, I do have obsessions and compulsions which make kryptonite scary. It would take nothing for me to be led "down a path". I have to be aware and engaged at all times. I can be caught by surprise, my kryptonite is very compelling and I am a physical man.
   So here is my point, kryptonite can be anything. I don't have to tell anyone what my kryptonite is, we all have a different weakness. What we do need to be is aware of our weakness and not let it dictate or lead. Don't allow yourself to be distracted from what is important, you can still have your fun, just don't let it consume you.
   People will interpret Scripture as they will, they may want to heap guilt upon others for their behavior out of jealousy or some warped sense of "evangelism". Let me be clear, your relationship with the Father is your own, unique and special to you. Nurture and cherish it, take time, pay attention, listen. Don't let the beautiful glow of kryptonite distract you.....too much.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment